vendredi 1 juin 2012

There's something about France...


I don't know what it is, but somehow the country just evokes happiness. Maybe it's due to my lack-of-sleep delirious state, but I just couldn't help but smile as our plane descended out of the clouds and I first glimpsed the Provence scenery. Sitting in business class definitely didn't hurt my mood though (There really is something to say in favor of being a loyal United member)... But that being said, even losing my bag and finding out that I won't get it till tomorrow morning has yet to faze me. Even waiting around the airport for two hours until one of the other students arrived seemed like no big deal. Maybe it is the sleep deprivation. But more likely I think it's just the enchanting nature of the south of France. The architecture, the relaxed feel, the narrow streets of Aix, and the outdoor cafes; it truly has its own unique character. The center is beautiful - smaller than I initially imagined, but definitely sufficient. There's also a beautiful courtyard garden in between the two buildings. The other student who arrived today, My, and I walked a bit into town to get lunch this afternoon and I can't wait to continue exploring. I know that the windy roads will at first present somewhat of a maze, but I feel like the town is small enough that hopefully I will start to get a good mental layout over the next few weeks. I couldn't help but notice the large number of young people walking around, but even the older adults seemed so lively. It was fun to just sit and observe and get a feel for this thriving culture. The comfortable confidence that French people exude is enviable; it makes me both want to speak French so I can one day seem so at ease with the language, but it also makes me nervous. Quiet confident people are sometimes more daunting than the outgoing ones, and the French have definitely nailed the quiet confidence. And let me tell you, I can already tell this is going to be much different from CLS last summer. The organization, the set up, the emphasis: it's all different. But an adventure is an adventure, so here we go! I'm not sure how much I'll be able to blog, but I will try to keep it up somewhat regularly. We're only supposed to use the internet/speak in English for an hour, so definitely limiting the Facebook usage - no pain, no gain :) Hugs and kisses

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire